Sunday, March 22, 2009

































John & Ron finished up the fence on Friday. We changed the size on one of the double gates to give more clearance for our tractor, but the replacement hasn't arrived yet. We still have some fill to do on the North West corner of the property and around the North entrance, so that part of the fence will have to wait. The standard ornamental iron gate was only 33 inches wide, anything wider was considered "custom" and very expensive, so we took our standard gate to a fellow here in town who does ornamental iron work and had him enlarge it. He did a great job at a fair price.


While the fence was under construction, I only had to be involved with problems & decisions on placement & techniques, so I made door jams & hung doors whenever things went smoothly. I routed the hinge mortises freehand with good success on the first two doors. There was less setup time too, but I soon grew overconfident & botched one. Now I use a template & take my time. Some of the doors I got were hinged to open opposite from what we needed, so I did a bit of chisel work & moved the strip of edge wood over to the other side of the hinge mortise to make a RH door into a LH.


Lynna had 4 cabinet doors that open upward & needed handles. She taped them on to get just the right placement, then made a template so I could drill & fasten them.

I used some scraps of Fir to mock up a window trim style Lynna saw in a local restaurant & we like it, but I'm going to do another sample with wider trim & a larger corner block.

No comments: