Monday, August 1, 2011

June & July Happenings





















I'm chairman of our church's Pastor Search Committee & that took up much of our time for the past two months, but, praise God, the committee made good progress & we still managed some progress on the house. I built a garden shed with left over materials I had accumulated & a window from the "Re-Store". I made some more saw horses, cutting some of the the joints with my radial arm saw & some with a hand saw.


I was ready to begin the baseboard install, so I laid about half of them out in my shop & put the Danish oil finish on. Lynna asked me to put trimming out the bedroom french doors at the top of my list so I suspended work on the baseboards and got that done. I put our vegetable garden in late because it was cold & wet for so long, but its beginning to take off now & we had our first Zuchini & Summer Squash of the season a few days ago.


In late June, we took Lynna's mom up to an alzheimers hospital in Beaverton for a few days of tests to adjust her medication. Others had seen big improvements from this & we hoped it would result in slowing the progress of her dementia and sundowning/exit seeking. A few days later the hospital called to let us know she was stabilized but needed 24 hour care if she was to continue living with us. We weren't expecting this change so soon, but a few months ago, had checked out several memory care facilities in the area & found they all had waiting lists. Now, a couple of them had openings & we were able to settle her at the Clare Bridge home in South Salem. She made a good adjustment to the change & seems happier there. She doesn't remember back more than a day or so now but tells us she likes being there & feels safer with the friendly staff always available. She hasn't shown any sundowning since the move.



I found some $ .25/foot Cherry crown molding at the Habitat for Humanity "Re-Store" & also snagged a No 246 Stanley mitre box complete with the original Disston back saw. It will clean up nicely & I plan to repaint it too. I've been watching for a good buy on a 3 h.p. router & was happy to find this Swiss made Elu on Craigs list.


8/6/11: I added some pictures of the mitre box after clean up. I replaced the sacrificial board, added some new paint, adjusted & lubed the saw setting device, cleaned & polished the saw plate and refinished the handle. It still holds accurate settings & makes a very clean cut. I will be using it any time I'm not comfortable cutting a small piece on the Bosch.

No comments: