Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Insulation & Siding






Last week we got our insulation in. We took several bids to find a price we could live with. Francisco estimated it would take 3 or 4 days to do our home but the two workers did everything in only 1 1/2 days! they did all the walls plus foamed the cracks & crevises on Thursday then came back Friday & did the floors from the crawl space. I had planned on doing my Hydronic heat system after the sheetrock but realized that I had to do the Bonus room over our garage before we did sheetrock or it would be very difficult. This meant some hard work for me as I had to get done before the insulation started.


We also took many bids for siding and concluded our original plan to use stucco was just too expensive. In this area, stucco is about twice the cost of cement lap siding or more. One sider told me they consider stucco to be "Gold Plating" your home. I was tempted to get cedar shingles & install them myself as I had done in Olympia, but I've grown old & Lynna won't allow me to be working up high on a ladder anymore, so we opted for Hardie Plank lap siding with some Hardie shingles on the gable ends.
The siding material was delivered Saturday and Monday I found out I neededed to install the vent hoses from the bathroom and laundry room fans. We are venting them out through the covered soffits.
Saturday John & Ron finished up the North side exterior. I like how the recessed windows look and the false columns will be easy for the siders to finish.
We had record hot weather (96F-99F) Thursday through Sunday and we spent Saturday watching the grade school All City Relays. Our grand daughter, Madeline, ran on a 4th grade co-ed team. She was among the smallest kids out there but fast & her team managed a photo-finish where they came in 2nd.
I worked hard Monday & got all six vent hoses installed while the boys from Ziril & Sons got set up then started wrapping the house, flashing the windows & installing window trim. The two brothers, Mihail (Mike) & Dennis, were recommended by my Electrician and their bid was very reasonable. They are skilled & do nice work.

No comments: