Thursday, June 19, 2008

Hauling debris & Mud gets spread.






Yesterday, my teen aged helper Cody & I loaded up another trailer load of left over lumber & fasteners which we returned to Frere's Lumber for credit. After that, we loaded up all the scrap Hardie Plank & Hardie Shingle left by the siders. We hauled it to the transfer station but the gal there recommended we take it to their demolition disposal site where non-burnable construction debris can be dumped for a minimal charge. Sounded good to me, but the directions were vague & the place was poorly signed (actually no signs at all until you reached the front gate). We wandered around along the Willamette River South of Salem and eventually found the site. While we were doing that, the crew had started taping joints.


Thursday morning I walked up to open the house & noticed our sheetrockers had not put in a ceiling hatch for attic access despite my earlier showing the foreman & one of his helpers where the openings were framed. There is a language barrier but I thought they understood. This was a problem because we had scheduled a contractor for 1:00 PM to install a Sola-Tube skylight in the South bathroom. Not going to happen unless they can get into the attic. I called Jose: soon Eduardo & one of his helpers showed up to fix things. Cody loaded the trailer with sheetrock scrap while I mowed the lawn. We hauled the load to the demo sight & off loaded it. Then we moved 4 squares of left over shingles into the basement to store for when I build our shed. The skylight is installed now & we like it. Its just like having a large overhead light but needs no electricity. I tried to get a good picture of the entry hall from the garage to house. We added 2' to the floorplan so Lynna could have a larger Kitchen and Family Room. It also gave us a hallway that is 5' 8" wide. It will serve as a Mud Room for dealing with Winter Clothing, shoes & gardening stuff.

No comments: