Thursday, July 17, 2008

Progress

I haven't taken any new pictures because we have been very busy with multiple physical therapy appointments at Kaiser in Salem. Recovery from my "Tripartite Fracture of the Humerus" on Memorial Day has been good with a considerable increase in range of motion and strength. The downside is I can expect at least a year or more for full recovery. I still have a very weak left arm with not much of a grip but at least I can now do some work moving lumber and working on my rain drain system.

Monday, we drove into Salem early so I could shop at the Keith Brown(building supply & cabinets) outlet store. They had some good buys on hardwood scraps and cabinet doors but only a few base units that were cheap at $130 but they were poorly made & shabby looking. Not sturdy at all & put together with light duty staples. Didn't even appear to be glued together! I talked Lynna into stopping at Kelly's Interiors on the way to my PT appointment because we had seen a nice looking base unit on sale there about 8 weeks ago. Lynna thought it would be long gone but it was still there. They had first marked it down to $429 then $209 when we last visited. Now it was down to $149. We bought it & hauled it home. It appears to be Cherry with a light, "limed" finish, 39" wide, with double doors and dovetailed drawers. I am going to make it into a wide topped workbench with some 2" Jatoba (Brazilian Cherry) planks that I was given. This wood is twice as hard as oak so it should be perfect for a workbench top. It darkens over time to a deep red & is very pretty. I used some to accent our red oak floors & to make kitchen counter tops when we built our Olympia home.

Jose is supposed to paint the interior today and the Overhead Garage Door techs are coming to install our openers and put on the exterior hardware that will make our garage look like a carriage house. Lynna & I are going to try and finish the rain drain system today. I will get some pics up this evening.

No comments: