Thursday, December 18, 2008







The crew finished up the coarse sanding today & troweled the filler in to dry overnight. Tomorrow they will do the 100 grit sanding & buff in the first coat of oil finish to cure over the weekend. I did the fine sanding of our stair treads & brushed on a coat of finish. I came down for a break & Lynna was cooking up some split pea soup, sure smelled good.

I took the dogs out for a walk after lunch and saw a BC Plumbing truck parked in our drive. Found a plumber wandering around in the house, tracking muddy footprints on the floor. I led him to the garage to finish plumbing the dog bath and water filter system, then apologized to the sanders. Turns out it didn't hurt anything as the fine sanding will clean up his tracks. Later another BC tech came to help me plumb the indirect hot water heater & boiler. I spent the afternoon with him going over all the safety devices required by Marion County. There is a low water cut-off, a high temperature cut-off, a second high temperature release valve, a spill switch for the vent, a temperature/pressure dial and a large air capture device that looks like it belongs on a submarine. (Most of these parts weren't required on the boilers I installed in previous homes or they were installed at the factory) there will be 4 heating zones in the house plus a zone for the hot water heater and I'm adding isolation valves and purge valves for each zone. (This is a trick I learned from Mr. Harwood, the old fellow I bought my previous 2 boilers from) Using these valves allows for quick purging of air from the system, balancing the heat between the living or sleeping areas and only requires two zone valves and one circulating pump.

The plumber last worked on a boiler about 6 years ago & was enthusiastic as he dry assembled & sketched out the layout for everything. He is returning tomorrow with a few more fittings. When everything is together I will probably pay an electrician to do the wiring just to make sure it passes inspection.

No comments: