Thursday, January 22, 2009

Final Part II







I finished closing off the stairway this morning and moved on to the jetted tub. There were two problems to fix: We needed a service hatch that was easily removable and the air switch didn't activate the pump.



I had lightly nailed a small piece of hardiboard on the end of the tub surround where the manual recommended a hatch, but then we tiled over it for a clean look. I used a linoleum knife to score through the grout line and popped the board off without breaking any tiles. I plan to use a magnetic latch to hold it closed this time.



The tub had been tested after wiring & everything worked fine, so why wasn't it working now? The inspector had been tripping all the GFI circuits, perhaps one was still off. I went through the house & found a circuit in the basement that was tripped, but the tub pump was still inactive. I soon discovered the hose from the air switch to the relay box was disconnected at the switch end. The switch is located in the center of the tub on the side against the wall. Insulation was stuffed around everything & that was probably how the hose came loose. The switch was held in place with a nut on the back side, to far to reach from the hatch. I could remove the switch & re-attach the hose, then fish tape it back to the pump but it would be difficult, and the switch would need to be glued in place. I decided to get a new switch & relocate it near the pump for easy service in the future. No place in town could get a new switch without several days wait but Mike, our electrician is bringing one by tomorrow.



While I was working on the tub, two fellows from BC Plumbing came & reversed the shower valves. They noticed our toilet base hadn't been caulked, so they did all four before leaving.
I scheduled a re-inspection for Monday. (Paul, the last picture is for you :)

No comments: