Saturday, January 3, 2009
















In the early hours of January 2, roaring wind noise and the sound of flying branches hitting the walls & roof of our home woke us about 2:30 AM. Then we heard branches popping & breaking followed by a tremendous thud that shook the house. We turned on the radio but the power soon went out. After 10 or 15 minutes, the wind eased a bit & we went back to sleep. In the morning, we found a large Fir tree had fallen from North to South across our back yard. I took some pictures today. Not much damage but a big mess for the owner of our rental to clean up.

It was 33F when I started work on our deck this morning but I was comfortable with a jacket over two wool shirts and a wool cap. After about an hour, the sun came out. It was only 35F out but the covered porch was so warm, I had to remove my jacket & outer wool shirt. We had sun all day & I was quite comfortable while I cut & fit the decking.

I found our framer had placed one of the deck joist ends and some L flashing a bit high which was making the deck board sit high at that point. Rather than reframe that part of the deck, I did some quick chisel work to make the decking line up.

No comments: